Friday, September 14, 2018

Loving Every Moment [Week 2]


Last week was a great week! We got to go to several places . . . at the expense of another language class . . . but I can't complain because I am satisfied and in China, everything is a language class material. Dinner at the beginning of the week has to be my favorite family event so far . . . in the past 2-3 weeks. My dad invited his student along and our aunt joined us as well. There were a total of six people sitting at the table! Our aunt came in first so we had the typical introduction-styled conversation. I mentioned how I was interesting in learning the Changzhou dialect so that I could communicate with my host grandparents from my dad's side (not knowing that they speak the Wujin dialect, a similar dialect, at this time). So, our aunt was determined to have me leave with two sentences! First, that I was American and next, that I was a Changzhou student! How fun! I was able to surprise my dad when he finally arrived with his student at dinner with my new dialect. It excited the whole table. Except for my host brother, sitting back and just being amused with how bad my tones were.😂 Dinner was full of laughter and smiles. I learned a new important phrase 我报的要死。My host family would overfeed me if they could. My metabolism is not nearly as quick as other people, so I am always feeling full. If you think American portions are large, spend a week eating the quantity of food for each meal.

I have the luck to be able to walk through Hongmei Park everyday and talk to locals.
I found that, although Chinese students have longer school days, they also have both several and longer breaks through out the day. I have a different school schedule that than general courses that the Chinese students do. On the first day, the NSLI-Y students were required to attend the regular schedule with the Chinese students.We were placed with the freshmen since juniors and seniors are more pressured to pass the GaoKao and less available. Students have nearly 2 hours of lunch time.The cafeteria does close before the two hours are over, s the time is meant to be spent as a break time for the students. Most of it it is either spent sleeping, studying, or exercising outside. I remember wishing in America that I could have time again. My wishes have been granted in China! During the middle of the school day, we have a thirty minute break. You can see almost all of the 50+ students laying their heads down and resting during this time. The class shuts all the blinds so it is dark in the room. The atmosphere makes taking a nap during that time REALLY compelling. Morning reading starts at 7:15 AM and the last class ends at 5:30 PM. I, however, have the choice to attend these classes after our four languages classes a day. I also get to leave at 4 PM everyday. So far, the classes are not very rigorous, however I am interested in continuing with self-study during my free time. I will also be regularly be attending the classes of my individual class.

So far, I am satisfied with the program. I'd personally love to have a full day of classes rather than just 4, however, I have a year of free language classes to meet my satisfaction standards (which aren't very high for anything free, to be honest 😂). So NSLI-Y is soaring high on my charts so far!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting to hear all about your adventures and see it! I hope you continue to update us!!

    ReplyDelete